Re: Linking an RDF instance to its RDF Schema

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Sun, 17 Nov 2002 17:56:41 -0500
To: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

If you have rdf:type properties in your instances, their values should
be URIs that identify Class resources in your schema.  User-defined
properties in the instance data should be (after QName resolution) URIs
that identify Property resources in your schema.  Are you looking for
some other kind of explicit link?

MDaconta@aol.com wrote:

> Hi All,
> Working with protege recently, It can generate both an RDF
> Schema and separate instance documents conforming to the
> schema; however, there is no direct, explicit link between the RDF
> Schema and
> its instance document.  Why not?
> I notice that the RDF Schema spec and the Primer are both silent on
> this issue.  As this is different than the process for XML documents,
> I would think an explanation or justification is in order.

The Primer isn't silent on the issue.  At least there's an example of
instance data at the end of Section 5.2 that illustrates the points I
made above.  Perhaps it could be elaborated (suggestions are welcome,
although people are always complaining about how long the Primer has
gotten in trying to follow all the other suggestions.. :-) ..)