RE: Can RDF thrive in an XML-centric world?

>At 3:43 PM +0000 2002-11-05, Jon Hanna wrote:
>>"Hardly" is enough for a format that co-exists with others.
><snip>
>>if I have rules on how the rdf content is formatted in my particular
>>document type.
>
>So you would effectively have multiple variants of RDF/XML that can
>be read by a generic XML/RDF parser but require specialized tools to
>generate. I can see the usefulness of that.
>
>What about pure RDF situations, such as storage or transfer between
>applications? Is there an advantage to using XML in those?

For transfer, SOAP + RDF/XML is effectively an off the shelf solution, so an
advantage there. Regarding storage - it would be nice to hear the
experiences of anyone using an XML DB like XIndice for RDF. I suspect this
would have advantages over RDBMS, though I guess some of the low-level
RDF-table mappings would behave like a 'native' RDF DB. Perhaps it's time
for an update on Sergey's doc [1] to include the XML and native (/Berkeley?)
variants.

Cheers,
Danny.

[1] http://www-db.stanford.edu/~melnik/rdf/db.html