Re: Multiple rdf:type elements

From: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Date: Sun, 09 Jun 2002 22:21:28 -0600
To: Alan Lillich <alillich@adobe.com>
cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

> An example of an rdf:Description element containing multiple rdf:type
> elements came up in a recent discussion.  Clearly the syntax allows this,
> and any one of the rdf:type elements could be used to produce a typedNode
> form.
>
> Has there ever been any discussion about the utility or meaning of this?
> Perhaps to model multiple inheritance? Is it an oversight in the syntax?
> Should RDF implementations complain about it if they have a checking mode?

Might I suggest my article:

http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/xml/library/x-think8.html

A large part of this article covers why RDF has and should have such a
flexible notion of class and type.

And, no, there is no need to think of it in terms of multiple inheritance.  I
suggest leaving OO biases at the door when dealing with RDF.  Luckily, RDF
doesn't inherit OO's very limited world view.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston):
http://www.xmlconference.com/
DAML Reference - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/01/damlref.html
The Languages of the Semantic Web - http://www.newarchitectmag.com/documents/s=
2453/new1020218556549/index.html