Re: RDF API... Alive?

At 23:14 28/01/2002 -0600, Roman Elizarov wrote:
>Hello!
>
>I've been happy to find RDF API at
>http://www-db.stanford.edu/~melnik/rdf/api.html
>that's really what I need for my work on representation of information
>about programming contests (participants, problems, results, etc -
>we're doing it as a part of the automated judging system development
>for NEERC http://neerc.ifmo.ru and ACM ICPC http://acm.baylor.edu).
>I've been looking just for this kind of API, because I'm not satisfied
>with W3 RDF syntax (too verbose) and want to play with others (like
>Strawman). I'm qurious - is the project still alive (seems like it has
>not been updated for more than a year)? Any plans to move to the
>latest Java 2 APIs (Collection framework's iterators instead of
>Enumerations and JAXP instead of build-in and proprietary-configured
>XML parser)?

I cannot speak for the rdf api you mention, however, Jena is another Java
RDF API which can be found at

   http://www.hpl.hp.com/semweb

which is currently under active development.  You might consider
that.  There is a mailing list at jena-dev@groups.yahoo.com.

>And one more question: I need higher-order constructs (at least
>aboutEach, that was removed from the latest RDF revision)

Jena's ARP parser still supports aboutEach.  I believe the intent that it
will continue to support it, though it may generate warnings that such
usage is non standard.

>and I'd plan
>to have kind of "attribute overriding" policy (to set specific
>attributes for some resource and override those made with
>"aboutEach"). I've been planing to have a simple rule: the last (in
>document order) attribute value takes precedense. That is why I need
>an API that guarantees a stable order of emited Statements (that
>correspond to the document order). Does org.w3c.rdf.model.Model and
>parsers gurantee that the document order of Statements is preserved?

Again I can't speak for the Stanford API.  Jena has no concept of document
order and makes no guarantees about preserving it.  You should be aware
that RDF has no concept of document order either; statements are just
statements, whatever order they come in.

Brian