Re: Patent threat over RDF?

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 2 Jan 2002 12:36:35 -0500 (EST)
To: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

On Wed, 2 Jan 2002, Uche Ogbuji wrote:

> Considering the goals for a distributed and multi-platform Semantic Web, this
> letter seems to be an anarchist's grenade.  What is there to be done about it?

Uche,

I'm sending a stop-gap message for now. You're the second developer I have
heard about who received such a message this week. I want to talk to my
colleagues at W3C and on the Semantic Web Coordination Group before saying
much more; I'm not a lawyer and consequently would prefer to postpone any
detailed comments for now. I expect the extent of the problem will become
clear over the next few days. I'd like to avoid discussion of this
blowing up into a huge fuss in the meantime.

Meanwhile, I suggest we try to carry on with life as normal on
www-rdf-interest.... for eg., I am always interested in historical
references on edge-labelled graph data models, to add to planned updates
of http://www.w3.org/1999/11/11-WWWProposal/thenandnow and
http://www.w3.org/2000/09/XGraph/

All the best for the new year,

Dan