  From: Seth Russell
  To: RDF-Interest ; Richard H. McCullough
  Sent: Sunday, December 15, 2002 2:13 PM
  Subject: Re: context

  Your notion of context seems to me to be the catch-all context node ... like rdfs:Resourse, it is a class of contexts in which all collections of propositions fall (or at least all that were collected by you in your diary).  I think such a notion of context is just about as useful as the notion of the class of all classes; it is more just the background of any particular proposition.  To me context is more specific.  It is, as you have defined, a collection of propositions.  But more specifically it is all the propositions which have been collected by some agent or agents for ?x (or about ?x,or in the process of doing ?x, or any other intentional activity twards ?x).  The ?x in the previous sentence can be any thing. The propositions in that collection are the associated context for that agent (or agents) for that thing.  So all of the collections of propositions in my notion of context would be subContext(s) of your notion of Context.

  So my notion of context is the association of the following:

  1) a collection of statements with their provanance
  2) an agent or agents that collect (1)
  3) a thing that the collecting of (1) is about

  Your notion only mentions (1) and does not deal with (2) or (3).

  What do you think?

  Seth Russell

  Incidentally I have another week or so of work in the salt mines of
  http://speaktomecatalog.com/ so it may be a while before
  I can defend my opinion here.

  From: "Richard H. McCullough" <rhm@cdepot.net>
  Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 05:13:00 -0800