RE: facts of reality, context, possible worlds

At 13:58 12.12.2002 +0000, Jon Hanna wrote:

> > Kant and some particle physicists claim that
> > consciousness creates reality -- i.e., that
> > their mathematical models ARE reality, and
> > that experimental measurements are only
> > approximations of that reality.  I say that
> > experimental measurements ARE reality, and
> > mathematical models are only approximations
> > of that reality.
>
>I prefer the idea of giving Kant, particle physicists, yourself and Ayn Rand
>the tools they need to express their differing opinions about reality and
>then let them battle it out rather than creating a tool out of a single view
>of reality.

I'm not a philosopher myself, but I've had many discussions with some of
them about exactly this. And they argue (or rather some philosophical
systems do so) that you cannot have a strict separation of form and content
otherwise you would enter an infinite loop of meta layers.