OpenCyc progress report

From: Richard H. McCullough <rhm@cdepot.net>
Date: Sat, 7 Dec 2002 11:08:48 -0800
To: "RDF-Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Cc: "William Thomas" <wthomas@nycap.rr.com>, "Richard S. Latimer" <latimer1@att.net>, "Stephen Reed" <reed@cyc.com>
1. Linux version
All of my previous problems were caused by WinZip
corrupting the download files (e.g. inserting carriage returns
into the shell scripts).  After re-downloading directly to my Linux
machine, everything works as described in the release notes.

2. retrieving knowledge
To become proficient at retrieving knowledge from OpenCyc,
I am reading the online documentation at OpenCyc.org.
Since OpenCyc uses WordNet, I am also reading
Christiane Fellbaum's "WordNet" book.

3. using knowledge
Next, I will study the structure of OpenCyc's microtheories
(contexts), in order to assess the feasibility of using OpenCyc
for Semantic Web applications.  Don't hold your breath while
waiting for my results.
Dick McCullough
knowledge := man do identify od existent done
knowledge haspart proposition list