RE: Survey of RDF data on the Web

From: Andreas Eberhart <andreas.eberhart@i-u.de>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 2002 14:24:03 +0200
To: "Dan Brickley" <danbri@w3.org>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Hi Dan,

> All that said, I for one would really appreciate an HTML/XHTML version of
> the report, or even a PDF version.

a PDF version is now available at
http://www.i-u.de/schools/eberhart/rdf/rdf-survey.pdf.

> Great, thanks. I took  quick look. The .zip seems to contain one
> re-serialized RDF document per RDF document your tools discovered, is that
> correct?

Yes, the number in the filename is a "foreign key" referencing into the
(text and tab) URLs table. This way you can see where the data was found.

> > Maybe someone can give me a pointer as to what would be a good way of
> > exporting this long subject, predicate, object list in the
> database as RDF.
> > The problem are the predicates. Can I avoid declaring all the required
> > namespaces?

> I'm not sure how this compares to what you're hoping to do.

I'm trying to export all the facts as one large RDF file. I used Jena ARP
and Sergey Melnik's RDF API, but with both I'm running out of main memory
while filling the model (i.e. before I can serialize it as RDF). Is there a
possibility where not the entire data has to be held in main memory? Maybe a
two-pass approach, where the predicate namespaces are collected in the first
pass and the data is serialized during the second pass.

Andreas