Re: Survey of RDF data on the Web

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@w3.org>
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 12:46:29 -0400 (EDT)
To: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
cc: "Chaudhary, Mark" <Mark.Chaudhary@westgroup.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Hi Seth,

While it would be very interesting to see an RDF/XML version of this
survey shared with the RDF Interest Group, I'd appreciate it if
listmembers took care to balance feature requests with encouragement.
There's no such thing as a free survey! Designing and implementing an
RDF/XML dump of this data would be good. But it's work; timeconsuming
work. So please don't complain when people share their work in this forum.
In email, enthusiasm ('hey, what a cool survey, would be even more useful
if it was available in RDF')  can easily come across as complaint ('this
should be in RDF! Plain text data not appropriate here!'). I don't do much
chairing on this list, but I do try to encourage folk to make this a list
where people are happy to share their work, and their works-in-progress.

So... I disagree with the suggestion in
that people should wait until they've worked out an RDF view of their data
before sharing findings with this group. Publish early and often!

All that said, I for one would really appreciate an HTML/XHTML version of
the report[1], or even a PDF version. I'm often browsing/reading from
machines without Postscript installed, and it is also harder to quote from
and reference subsections of postscript documents.

BTW on the topic of stats from RDF harvesters, I did make a quick attempt at a
dump of such info from my 'scutter' harvester for FOAF data. Sample log at
[2], more on FOAF at [3]. Software distrib is pre alpha, but can be found
c/o [4]. The current log (generated by SQL query from a Postgres DB) lists
the number of occurances of each class and property encountered by the
harvester. I'd like to extend this to keep stats of class-contextualised
property occurances, for eg not just the number of dc:title-s, but the
number of dc:title properties applied to any xyz:AudioWork. Hypothesis
being that such data could be used for query routing and service
aggregation across multiple harvester installations that had different
traversal and indexing policies...

[1] http://www.i-u.de/schools/eberhart/rdf/rdf-survey.ps
[2] http://rdfweb.org/2002/foaf/scutter/log/vocabstats-2002-7-15.log
[3] http://rdfweb.org/foaf/