Re: Personal URI?

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 07:43:07 -0700
To: "Sampo Syreeni" <decoy@iki.fi>
Cc: "Peter Bruhn Andersen" <bruhn.andersen@get2net.dk>, "RDF-interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

From: "Sampo Syreeni" <decoy@iki.fi>

> On 2002-08-06, Seth Russell uttered to Peter Bruhn Andersen and
RDF-interest:

> >I don't think that creating a URI (any type of uri) is the best
> >solution. Reason is that different entities who want to describe this
> >person will tend to create different URI for him or her.
>
> Yes, but only where you come from. Over here, just about everybody who
> needs to uniquely identify a person will actually use the PIN.
> Government agencies, banks, credit card companies, universities,
> everybody. Given that those sorts of instances aren't exactly what one
> might call trivial in the e-world, I think a URI type to facilitate PIN
> use can actually make a difference in how well RDF is perceived around
> these parts.

I still think the bNode approach is the best, *absent any global agreement*.
Now if you guys can get some global agreement going, and have organizations
like the W3C and goverments endorse it, well then identification can be more
precise and every person can have a reliable URI.

But I'm not going to hold my breath ..... anybody got any good smushing
algorithms ?

Seth Russell