Re: Disambiguation; keeping the "U" in "URI"

From: Mark Baker <distobj@acm.org>
Date: Sat, 27 Apr 2002 21:06:35 -0400
To: Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
> But then I'm not sure why you mentioned that people should be using C-L in
> cases of shortcutting ".../" URIs to ".../index.html", rather than using
> redirection.  Or did I misunderstand you?

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "shortcutting".  It could mean one
of two things;

1.  Equivalence

When I want to communicate an equivalence relationship between two
resources, I use redirection.

Here's an example that I used last year.  This URI identifies my
definition of "brilliance";

It is a temporary redirect, which means that I reserve the right to
change my definition later.  If I used a permanent redirect, I'm telling
the client that you can forget about my URI and just use the
dictionary.com one.

2.  Delegation of representation

In this case, a resource chooses to use another resource as its
representation, at least for that request.

So there's definitely some similarities, but really, they're two
different mechanisms for solving different problems.