Re: Disambiguation; keeping the "U" in "URI"

Uche,

On Sat, Apr 27, 2002 at 09:47:35AM -0600, Uche Ogbuji wrote:
> Thanks, I did see that, but it didn't immediately bring to my mind
> redirections.  It seemed more a bit of general info for the UA or
> intermediates.  I didn't even get from it a sense that, say, a browser UA
> should update the URL bar with the URI from C-L rather than the requested URL,
> which I would think as a requisite action in any redirection scenario.

It could do that on a POST response with a Content-Location header, so
that a POST response can be identified without having to resubmit the
POST (though this behaviour is unspecified in RFC 2616, I believe it's
implemented in most browsers).  But not on a GET.

>  It
> does say that the C-L URI should become the base URI of the document, but this
> still seems too weak a stipulation for use in redirections scenarios.

Right, it (C-L or a base URI) has nothing to do with redirection.
Redirection is specified with the Location header on a 3xx response,
not C-L.

> And now, bu mentioning content negotiation, you've caused an even deeper fog
> about my head.  I'm also quite sure how to associate C-L with either content
> negotiation in general (which I think of as getting a gif or png, as
> preferred, from the *same* URL),

Right.

 and redirects from ".../" URIs to
> ".../index.html" URLs (which seem more to me as general short-cut support than
> anything to do with clarifying ambiguity or negotiating content).

C-L has nothing to do with redirection.

Redirection is an assertion about the identity relationship between two
resources; that they are equivalent, either for now (302), or for all
time (301).

Content-Location is a statement about the relationship between a bag of
bits (the entity body of the message) and a resource, at one point in
time (the time the request was made).

MB