Re: silly question about rdf:about

From: Nikita Ogievetsky <nogievet@cogx.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 10:40:31 -0400
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, "Uche Ogbuji" <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Cc: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>

> Sean B. Palmer:
> > Nikita Ogievetsky:
> > If anybody thinks that way then it is not me.
> > What I am saying is that given a statement like this:
> >
> > http://uche.ogbuji.net :characteristics :very-interesting
> >
> > will leave many people puzzled whether I mean that
> > you are a very interesting person or that your website
> > is definitely worth looking at. :-)
> Well, you could just add an extra triple:-
>    <http://uche.ogbuji.net/> a :Interesting, :Person .
>    [or] <http://uche.ogbuji.net/> a :Interesting, :Website .

This will not work if I have web document about a web document.
EARL is a good example here.
In other words in RDF Topic Maps I can say:
  rtm:/indicatedBy <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>;
  :created [
    rtm:/constitutedBy <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>;

The part that would not work is the last 2 triples:
You need to say
    rtm:/constitutedBy <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>;
In order to not confuse it with:

    rtm:/indicatedBy <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>;

> this is also being discussed on www-tag as the "range of HTTP
> issue". It's a real practical problem, and something that we had
> to get round in the EARL [1] project. The way that we did it was
> to always create a new (possibly anonymous) node with a predicate
> linking it to the resource:-
>    [ :creatorOf <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>; a :Interesting ] .
>    [or] [ :documentAt <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>; a :Interesting ]

The only problem is that Uche is not just a creator, he is the *subject* of
that website.

> See also TimBL's Interpretation Properties [2] article.

Aha! Looks like TimBL is also into Topic Maps into RDF mapping.
Sad that Topic Maps are not being mentioned.

Attempts 2 and 3 are just forms of Topic Maps baseName representation in
Let me copy and paste...

Attempt 2
   <rdf:type resource="http://www.people.org/types#person" />
   <play:name rdf:parseType="Resource">
       <rdf:value>Ora Yrjö Uolevi Lassila</rdf:value>
   <play:mailbox resource="mailto:ora.lassila@research.nokia.com"/>
   <play:homePage resource="http://www.w3.org/People/Lassila">

Attempt 3
       <lang:fi>Ora Yrjö Uolevi Lassila</lang:fi>

And here is Topic Map:
 <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href="http://www.people.org/types#person" />

   <baseNameString>Ora Yrjö Uolevi Lassila</baseNameString>
   <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href="#mailbox"/></instanceOf>
   <resourceRef xlink:href="mailto:ora.lassila@research.nokia.com"/>
   <instanceOf><topicRef xlink:href="#homePage "/></instanceOf>
   <resourceRef xlink:href="http://www.w3.org/People/Lassila"/>