Re: silly question about rdf:about

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 2002 09:47:42 +0100
To: "Nikita Ogievetsky" <nogievet@cogx.com>, "Uche Ogbuji" <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Cc: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "Sandro Hawke" <sandro@w3.org>
> If anybody thinks that way then it is not me.
> What I am saying is that given a statement like this:
>
> http://uche.ogbuji.net :characteristics :very-interesting
>
> will leave many people puzzled whether I mean that
> you are a very interesting person or that your website
> is definitely worth looking at. :-)

Well, you could just add an extra triple:-

   <http://uche.ogbuji.net/> a :Interesting, :Person .
   [or] <http://uche.ogbuji.net/> a :Interesting, :Website .

this is also being discussed on www-tag as the "range of HTTP
issue". It's a real practical problem, and something that we had
to get round in the EARL [1] project. The way that we did it was
to always create a new (possibly anonymous) node with a predicate
linking it to the resource:-

   [ :creatorOf <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>; a :Interesting ] .
   [or] [ :documentAt <http://uche.ogbuji.net/>; a :Interesting ]
.

See also TimBL's Interpretation Properties [2] article.

[1] http://www.w3.org/2001/03/earl/
[2] http://www.w3.org/DesignIssues/InterpretationProperties

--
Kindest Regards,