Re: RDF ontology for describing reusable software components

From: Andrei Lopatenko <alopatenko@cs.man.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 18:41:36 +0100
To: "Uche Ogbuji" <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
translation of UML into RDF
were investigated in works of
S. Melnik http://www-db.stanford.edu/~melnik/rdf/uml/
Ubot project http://ubot.lockheedmartin.com/
also see works of Franconi on Conceptual Modeling and descriptiong logics
and general review of DL for conceptual modeling at
The task of "integration" UML  and traditional conceptual modeling with
Semantic Web technologies or Knowledge Representation is very big and seems
unfeasible, and I think it can be separated in a few parts to be implemented
Some of them
1 use of Knowledge Representation technologies, especially reasoning to  get
implicit knowledge for UML/ER models or find inconsistencies in models
- see ICOM project http://www.cs.man.ac.uk/~franconi/icom/
2 re-engineer traditional applications described in UML diagrammes into
Semantic Web ontology based applications to make them "open"
see UBOT project
3 re-use of conceptual modeling practises and methodologies, some of which
are very tested for ontology development
4 extend ontology languages to describe behavior or better describe
integrity rules  + emrbace all levels of modeling epist., conceptual,
logical, etc in one framework

For me all these parts are very different and require very different
approaches for UML + SW integration

Best regards
Andrei Lopatenko

Information Management Group