Re: Program Semantics -- Lexica, Logics, Ontologies, Semiotica, Syn-Taxonomies

From: David Sallach <sallach@uchicago.edu>
Date: Tue, 02 Apr 2002 14:47:36 -0600
To: Jon Awbrey <jawbrey@oakland.edu>
Cc: David Sallach <sallach@uchicago.edu>, cg@cs.uah.edu, Ontology <ontology@ieee.org>, Ontoweb <seweb-list@cs.vu.nl>, W3C Web Ontology WG <www-webont-wg@w3.org>, RDF <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, protege-discussion <protege-discussion@smi.stanford.edu>, Arisbe <arisbe@stderr.org>, Gdsemiocom <gdsemiocom@univ-perp.fr>, Robert E Kent <rekent@ontologos.org>
At 08:24 AM 4/2/02 -0500, Jon Awbrey wrote:

>I believe that some aspects of situation theory will be covered by the IFF
approach,
>about which I'm sure you will hear more anon among the SUO e-missals.

I'll look forward to learning more about the IFF approach.

>As far as the
>general recognition of situated attitudes in logic and semiotic goes, C.S.
Peirce,
>of course, got there long ago.  And although the S&A floks have made some
valiant
>attempts to break out of the pre-veiling Fregean mold, they might have
purchased
>their fungicide wholesale if only they had made slightly more thorough
inquiries
>at Peirce's Emporium.

I have enormous respect for Peirce, and agree that his relational
orientation would have provided a firm foundation for the work subsequently
done in situation theory.  Nonetheless, identifying the situation as a
first-class seems to me to have been an important contribution to the
modeling of dynamic social processes.

. . .
>Welcome to the program of disruption already in progress ...

Thanks for your comments.

David