Re: SUO: Re: REQUEST: survey of available ontologies, taxonomies,thesauri, lexicons?

From: Frank Manola <fmanola@mitre.org>
Date: Mon, 01 Apr 2002 15:47:57 -0500
To: Bill Andersen <andersen@ontologyworks.com>
CC: Frank van Harmelen <Frank.van.Harmelen@cs.vu.nl>, "John F. Sowa" <sowa@bestweb.net>, SUO <standard-upper-ontology@ieee.org>, Ontoweb <seweb-list@cs.vu.nl>, W3C Web Ontology WG <www-webont-wg@w3.org>, RDF <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, protege-discussion <protege-discussion@smi.stanford.edu>, cg@cs.uah.edu
Bill--

Why not interpret "higher in the diagram than" as meaning "guides the
use of" rather than as "less basic than" or "following after"?  It seems
to me you're sewing a vest onto an awfully small button.

Earlier in this thread, you said

> This community had better stop playing academic one-upmanship and get busy
> producing something...

Is further in-depth analysis of TBL's layer-cake diagram SUO's kick-off
to this program?

--Frank