Re: RDF Core WG work on literals

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Fri, 28 Sep 2001 17:06:12 +0100
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 11:20 AM 9/28/01 -0400, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

>I just finished going through some of the messages on the
>w3c-rdfcore-wg@w3.org Mail archives concerning literals.  I am very
>concerned that the RDF Core WG is going down a completely wrong path with
>this work on literals.
>As an alternative proposal why not simply say that RDF literals are XML
>strings, and use the semantics for the XML Schema string datatype?

That would ignore the fact that RDF M&S considers language to be part of a

http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/, section 6:
The xml:lang attribute may be used as defined by [XML] to
associate a language with the property value. There is no specific data
model representation for xml:lang (i.e., it adds no triples to
the data model); the language of a literal is considered by RDF to
be a part of the literal.

Graham Klyne