Re: Comparing DAML+OIL, RDF Schema, and XML Schema

Dear Yolanda,

I found your project really interesting, and the comparison of these
emerging languages really useful.

Asunción Gómez-Pérez and I have been also working in the comparison of
different languages (especifically, ontology specification languages such as
Ontolingua, OCML, LOOM, FLogic, RDF Schema, SHOE, OML, XOL, OIL and
DAML+OIL), from the knowledge representation and reasoning points of view,
analyzing them with respect to a comparison framework based on the main
components that can be found in ontologies: concepts, relations, functions,
axioms, rules and instances.

You can find some results of our joint work in the following papers:
* "Evaluating Knowledge Representation and Reasoning Capabilities of
Ontology Specification Languages" Corcho, O.; Gómez-Pérez, A. Proceedings of
the ECAI'00 Workshop on Applications of Ontologies and Problem Solving
Methods. Berlin. Germany. August, 2000. [1]
* "A Roadmap to Ontology Specification Languages". Corcho, O.; Gómez-Pérez,
A. Proceedings of the 12th International Conference on Knowledge Engineering
and Knowledge Management (EKAW'00). Juan-les-Pins. France. October, 2000.
[2]
* "Ontology Specification Languages for the Semantic Web". Corcho, O.;
Gómez-Pérez, A. To be published in IEEE Intelligent Systems. [3]

As part of our last paper, there is a URL where there is a description of a
simple ontology and the corresponding code in different markup languages
(XOL, SHOE, RDF Schema, OML, OIL and DAML+OIL). [4]

I hope that you and other people in the list find this work interesting for
your projects. Comments and suggestions are appreciated.

Oscar Corcho

[1] http://delicias.dia.fi.upm.es/articulos/ocorcho/corchoetal_ecai00_ws.pdf
[2] http://delicias.dia.fi.upm.es/articulos/ocorcho/ekaw2000-corcho.pdf
[3] URL not available yet. If you are interested in it, please contact me.
[4] http://delicias.dia.fi.upm.es/RoadMap/ontologies.html

Oscar Corcho
Ontology Group (AI Lab) Facultad de Informatica
Universidad Politécnica de Madrid, Spain
Tel: +34 91 336 6604
Fax: +34 91 352 4819
Email: ocorcho@fi.upm.es