RE: RDF and xml:base

From: Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>
Date: Tue, 29 May 2001 17:20:57 +0100
To: Lee Jonas <lee.jonas@cakehouse.co.uk>
Cc: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 03:55 PM 5/29/01 +0100, Lee Jonas wrote:
>Following on from your earlier example of a transient protocol stream:
>
>Arguably, a locally defined RDFResource (with an rdf:ID attribute) is a
>fragment of the transient RDF stream.  You don't need an absolute
>URI-reference to refer to it whilst processing the stream, just the
>fragment.  Once processing is finished its transient nature means that
>persistent references to it are meaningless.  I.e. no document URI => no
>absolute URI-reference for a locally defined RDFResource.
>
>If the stream is merely a transport for some persistent RDF document and you
>want to keep its persistent nature intact, you could do one of the
>following:
>1) specify some protocol-specific way to communicate the source document's
>URI and process accordingly.
>2) translate all 'rdf:ID's to 'rdf:about's (i.e. absolute URI-references)
>using the source document's URI before transmission.
>etc.

OR:

(3) use a protocol-independent way to communicate the document's URI;  i.e.
xml:base.

The requirement I was imagining was not necessarily to preserve
persistence, but to provide a way for cross-referencing between multiple
transient subgraphs.  I.e. to reference resources defined by rdf:ID from
outside the document.

#g