Re: QName Problem Isn't One

Jonathan Borden wrote:

> 6) I am not sure that the usage of
>
> <Person rdf:ID="Adam">
>   <rdfs:label>Adam</rdfs:label>
>   <rdfs:comment>Adam is a person.</rdfs:comment>
>   <age>
>         <xsd:integer rdf:value="13" />
>   </age>
>   <shoesize>
>         <xsd:decimal rdf:value="9.5" />
>   </shoesize>
> </Person>
>
> in the DAML example (http://www.daml.org/2001/03/daml+oil-ex.daml) is valid
> RDF ... the "age" and "shoesize" properties should have either an
> rdf:resource or literal value yet these are pieces of XML. If the
> parseType="Resource" or parseType="Literal" this would be ok, but is that
> legal RDF in current form?

I believe this is legal.  A property can have a nested Description or typed
node element as its value - see first option of production 6.12 and
production 6.17 of the grammar in section 6 of M&S.

According to M&S section 6:

  Each property and value expressed in XML attribute form by productions
  [6.3] and [6.10] is equivalent to the same property and value expressed
  as XML content of the corresponding Description according to production
  [6.12].

So basically, the xsd:decimal element represents an anonymous resource
with an rdf:type property whose value is a resource whose URI is the URI
expansion of xsd:decimal and an rdf:value property whose value is the
literal "9.5".

However, in reading through M&S to check this, I noticed that the text
describing how properties specified as attributes translates to triples is:

  r is the resource whose resource identifer is given by the value of the
  about attribute, resolved as specified above, or whose anchor id is given
  by the value of the ID attribute of the Description or is a member of the
  collection specified by the aboutEach or aboutEachPrefix attribute.

This does not cover the case where the resource is anonymous and should
be clarified.  I will add an entry in the issues list for this.

Brian