Re: Location vs. names

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Tue, 12 Jun 2001 07:02:01 -0700
To: "Sampo Syreeni" <decoy@iki.fi>
Cc: <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
From: "Sampo Syreeni" <decoy@iki.fi>

> >Me thinks a name should resolve to what it identifies only in the memory
of
> >an agent hearing or speaking the name.
>
> Sometimes, yes. Sometimes, no. For instance, how do you propose getting
from
> a resource name to its attached metadata if the pointer itself cannot be
> dereferenced?

Easy: each time a local application encounters data about something named it
stores that data in its memory associated with that name.  The name can
always be dereferenced to the data encountered in the local application
storage.  With such a schema there can never be any confusion between some
~global resource~ and the data the local application has associated with
that name.

This tactic is used by human individuals.  Me thinks we need a URI scheme so
that agents on the Internet can reliably use the same tactic with no chance
of confusion.

Seth