RE: Namespaces and URIs

From: Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
Date: 08 Jun 2001 16:35:46 +0200
To: Lee Jonas <lee.jonas@cakehouse.co.uk>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
On 08 Jun 2001 15:10:20 +0100, Lee Jonas wrote:
> Which XML namepaces spec are you reading?
>
> An excerpt from section 1:
>
> [[
> [Definition:] An XML namespace is a collection of names, identified by a URI
> reference [RFC2396], which are used in XML documents as element types and
> attribute names.
> ]]

Yikes! I've made a fool of myself :-(
Actually, I jumped to directly to section 2...

Amazing, though, if you read the first definition in section 2, how it
does *not* insist on the fact that namespace names must be URIs.
I could even persist arguing that it is not specified that the namespace
name has to be the namespace URI but... PLEASE DON'T SHOOT, I was
kidding :-)

It is a shame, though.
As practical as it is, using http: URIs as such to identify namespaces
still bothers me...