Re: What is the URI of Truth?

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2001 15:26:47 +0100
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> that there is IMO a clear and essential property of
> URLs, that they define a location (or access
> mechanism) by which to obtain content, which makes
> them unsuitable, for philosophical (and practical)
> reasons as universal identifiers/names.

As Pierre-Antoine has already stated, not all URLs get back some
resolvable content. For example:-

   tel:+358-555-1234567

It's a location, but the concept of "URL" doesn't state what it's the
location *of*.

> A namespace should be identified *only* with
> a URN.

If that were so, then there would have been something in the XMLNS
specification about it. As it is, there isn't, so it's not. I rarely
ever see URNs being used for namespaces.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer