Re: What to do about namespace derived URI refs... (long)

From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Jun 2001 12:04:02 -0400
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Cc: <Ora.Lassila@nokia.com>
Patrick,

> Likewise, if I wish to define enumerations of token values for
> a property in XML Schema and then assign rankings (numeric
> values) for those in RDF Schema, the URI ref I have to use
> is tied to the XML Schema MIME content type and is not generic
> and portable, as it should be.
>
>    XML Enumeration for 'status'         RDF assigned rank
>    ---------------------------          -----------------
>            draft                                1
>         draft_approved                          2
>          approved                               3
>           retired                               4
>
> (the rank is needed if I want to have queries such as
>  'status <= approved', etc.)
>
> Tricky, yes. Though I'd use a stronger term ;-)

It would be great to have a MIME media type independent syntax for fragment
identifiers particularly for RDF and like applications (otherwise we really
are kidding ourselves assigning semantics to fragment identifiers -- well at
least IMHO). For example: http://www.rddl.org/fragment-syntax

-Jonathan