RE: What to do about namespace derived URI refs... (long)

Exactly! If I e.g. want to use XML Schema to provide strict
data typing for my serialized RDF instances (e.g. strict
date formats, enumerations of token value sets such as
ISO language names, etc.) I need to be sure that both XML
Schema and RDF Schema are using the same URIs to talk about
the same things.

If I try to use a class in an XML Schema as a superclass of
an RDF class, per the DAML examples, then I run into all
kinds of nastiness.

Likewise, if I wish to define enumerations of token values for
a property in XML Schema and then assign rankings (numeric
values) for those in RDF Schema, the URI ref I have to use
is tied to the XML Schema MIME content type and is not generic
and portable, as it should be.

   XML Enumeration for 'status'         RDF assigned rank
   ---------------------------          -----------------
           draft                                1
        draft_approved                          2
         approved                               3
          retired                               4

(the rank is needed if I want to have queries such as
 'status <= approved', etc.)

Tricky, yes. Though I'd use a stronger term ;-)

Thanks for the pointer to your algebra materials. I'll have a look.

Cheers,

Patrick

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-urn-uri-res-ddds-03.txt