Re: [topicmapmail] RDF and TopicMaps: an Exercise in Convergence

From: Murray Altheim <altheim@eng.sun.com>
Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2001 18:56:12 -0700
To: Lars Marius Garshol <larsga@garshol.priv.no>
CC: topicmapmail@infoloom.com, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Lars Marius Garshol wrote:

> * Murray Altheim
> |
> | What we ought to be talking about is a mapping from XTM to an RDF
> | schema, where there is the assignation of markup semantics to
> | higher-level syntax constructs.
>
> We might want to talk about this, but like you I'm not sure what we
> would gain by this. Doing it might be one way to find out.

Well, many of us are kinda busy to be engaging in what seems almost
an academic exercise. I'd much prefer to see a set of requirements,
a "why are we doing this?" made explicit. I realize you are taking
that one on yourself, so I'm assuming you have a good business reason.
At this point I don't have one, hence the request for requirements.

> | I'm unclear why the debate for the past six months has been about
> | XTM-to-RDF, when we should be talking RDF schema.
>
> Actually, I think we should be talking RDF -> TM. That would help make
> the relationship between the models clearer, and it would also help
> make RDF data available as topic map data.

But the model of RDF is an arc and two nodes. TM has a much more
complex model. I am under the impression that we'd need to develop
an RDF-based model of XTM using an RDF schema.

[cloud above head is empty]

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu