Re: Dropping the redundant colon in N3

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2001 18:45:02 -0800
To: Tim Serong <tims@ixla.com.au>
CC: "'Sean B. Palmer'" <sean@mysterylights.com>, Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, Tim Berners-Lee <timbl@w3.org>, www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Tim Serong wrote:

> RFC2732[1] allows the use of "[" and "]" within a URI for delimiting IPv6
> addresses.  For example http://[1080::8:800:200C:417A]/foo would be legal...
> Is this going to cause trouble with the above?

Yep, that beast would be a problem - we would need to find another syntactic
contrivance to escape URI containing embedded SemEnglish punctuation.  The
SemEnglish [1] punctuation set is:

None of those could be inside a proper SemEnglish URI.  Of course we could do it
the easy way and just define a property arc called "uri" that takes a literal as
the object which is interpreted as a URI.

    [ uri "http://[1080::8:800:200C:417A]/foo"] relatesTo IPv6.

Seth
[1] http://robustai.net/mentography/semenglish.html