RE: Decentralized RDF Distribution

From: Danny Ayers <danny@panlanka.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Feb 2001 20:38:33 +0600
To: "Aaron Swartz" <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, "RDF Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

<- >> For our simplified testbed, we can just assume that an <-
<- application will
<- >> not be doing inserts based on reasoning.
<- > Couple of questions, I guess I'm missing something  - what
<- kind of inserts
<- > will be possible? What will it be testing? (I would have thought doing
<- > inserts based on reasoning would be the whole point)
<-
<- I mean based on reasoning from the triples themselves -- this is
<- to prevent
<- infinite loops. I'm thinking of a sort of decentralized storage
<- system where
<- the information comes from some outside source (say, a user) and
<- is stored
<- in the decentralized network.
<-
<- --
<- [ Aaron Swartz | me@aaronsw.com | http://www.aaronsw.com ]
<-

So the inference mechanism would be centralised? If so then I suppose the
problem here boils down to propagating the updates in a way that maintains
the transaction idea. The effects that (potentially) lead to infinite loops
could be a devil to calm (a distributed inference system could cause the
same problems) - though as you seem to be swuggesting, one step at a time...

BTW, were you thinking of hacking the inference mechanism together or using
an existing tool/shell (e.g. Jess)?

Cheers,
Danny.

---