Re: does RDF require understanding all 82 URI schemes?

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 17:24:38 -0600
To: Bill de hOra <bill@dehora.fsnet.co.uk>, Graham Klyne <GK@ninebynine.org>, Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN <champin@bat710.univ-lyon1.fr>
CC: RDF interest group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Bill de hOra <bill@dehora.fsnet.co.uk> wrote:

> "Paris" -> data:,Paris
>
> The first "Paris" was the name of a perfume, the second was the name of a god,
> the third was the name of a city. By converting them all to URIs, I've lost
> information.

No you haven't. You're assuming that the data: series of URIs actually
represents the resource in whose context they are used. This is not true --
a data: URI simply represents the string of characters in it's content, not
the meaning of the characters.

When I make the statement that:

    <http://aaronsw.com/> dc:title <data:,Aaron%20Swartz>

I'm simply saying that the title is the set of characters: "Aaron Swartz".
No more, no less. If I want to look at the other things hanging off that
URI, and can see the other things that this string of characters represents.
I think this is more information, not less.

Of course, if we are going to start saying things about data: URIs, we must
be sure to talk about the data itself, not what it represents. For example:

    <data:,Aaron%20Swartz> foaf:mailbox <mailto:me@aaronsw.com>

would be a bad idea, since that set of characters doesn't have an email
address.