Re: does RDF require understanding all 82 URI schemes?

From: Graham Klyne <GK@NineByNine.org>
Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 15:00:29 +0000
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
At 09:10 AM 2/12/01 -0500, Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:
>How can this be?  If RDF doesn't understand URI schemes, then it should not
>add extra semantics to the 'data;' URI scheme.

It doesn't need to understand 'data:' (by which I mean: no need for special
interpretation of 'data:'), only that RDF literals may be re-cast as
resources using the data: scheme.  A presented data: resource would (or
should in my view) be treated like any other URI.

>Further, there will have to be a mechanism for parsing the ``content'' of
>these URIs.  Otherwise, data;10.000 and data;10.00 will be two different
>``objects'', which may not be what was wanted.

I don't think this is a new problem.  Currently "10.000" and "10.00" are
two distinct literals.  They just happen to be equivalent under some
interpretations.  (I'll observe that on engineering drawings they commonly
have different interpretations.)

Graham Klyne