Re: RDF IG meeting at W3C Technical Plenary 2001-02-28

David Allsopp wrote:

> Seth Russell wrote:
>
> > Actually I think it falls on the other side.  Putting the variables (via
> > pronouns) directly in the RDF will be far more readable and far shorter - your
> > welcome to take a stab at my example below in your favorite query language.
>
> This is assuming that the community will adopt a syntax like N3 or
> SemEnglish, presumably? I which case I am satisfied; I'm just appalled
> by the thought of having to write (or read) complex queries in M&S.

As am I :))

> If we don't have shared terminology, how can either agent possibly
> understand the query or the reply? Isn't that the whole point of
> ontologies, namespaces, etc?

Well, yes, I should suppose so.    If we don't share terminology, we don't have a
semantic web at all; we just have a bunch of unrelated isolated systems.  The concepts
behind the URI gives everybody the ability to say ~whatever~ in their own terms inside
there own name space (which is just fine and dandy and certainly essential), but it
will be the agreements to share these terms that will make it a web.  That is the idea
behind SWAG (see sig below).

> Looks pretty clear to me! If I was being _really_ pedantic, I would say
> that it isn't a question; it's a statement that Seth is asking a
> question. 8-)

I think you forgot to to parse the [intent="toRecieveAnswer"]  part from the XML
context of utterance.  But of course we hadn't agreed to do it that way yet .... or
had we?  And why hasn't somebody made a XML version of KQML yet, or have they?

> The peason-molesworth space ship threatened by wild mercurian maths
> masters lies disabled in the onion bed of the kitchen garden.
> Meanwhile in the master's common room, Sigismund arbuthnot the mad
> maths master musters his rhomboids...

Oh my ...

<sig
       language="SemEnglish"
       fromDictionary="http://webns.net/roughterms/#"
       context="ThisEmailTrain"
       intent="toRecieveAnswer">
Seth
     preferedEmail "seth@robustai.net";
     properName "Seth Russell";
     affiliatedWith SWAG;
     asks Who#x ?
Who#x
     (works well with) Seth;
     fluentIn RDF, N3, VB, VFoxPro, "C++", SQL;
     (can easily learn) BerkeleyDB;
     salaryRequirements "0";
     (wants to program) SemBrowser.
Sembrowser
     description "Semantic Web Browser";
     (will be like) [Moasic wasTo Www].
SemEnglish
     see [http://robustai.net/mentography/semenglish.html].
SWAG
    a (Group of People);
    anagramOf "Semantic Web Agreement Group";
    uri [http://purl.org/swag/].
KQML
    a ACL;
    anagramOf " Knowledge Query and Manipulation Language";
    see [http://www.csee.umbc.edu/kqml/].
ACL
    anagramOf "Agent Communication Language".
</sig>