RE: Freenet, distributed search and simple RDF queries

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2001 22:30:52 +0000 (GMT)
To: Joshua Allen <joshuaa@microsoft.com>
cc: www-rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, tech <tech@freenetproject.org>
On Sat, 3 Feb 2001, Joshua Allen wrote:

> > Freenet and the Web
> > are complementary and will likely become deeply intermingled.
>
> We would all like to hope so, but I doubt it will happen with the current or
> any imminent implementation.  Now that Napster resources have URIs (well,
> sort-of -- at least the form nap:search?artist=goodie+mob&title=soul+food,
> which is more a URI to a list of all copies indexed by your server) there
> are some holes being punched, and maybe things like that will lead the way
> in "intermingling" until freenet becomes usable.

Yes, I agree there's a long way to go performancewise before it hits the
bigtime. All the more reason for folk to stick to the Web principle of
URI-based naming without discrimination amongst URI schemes. The
attraction of Freenet I guess is the (perhaps holy-grailish) notion of
being able to pull out content using arbitrary-looking identifiers. This
afternoon's thinking-out-loud session being an attempt to piggyback some
crude search techniques on top of that capability...

Dan

--
http://purl.org/net/danbri/