Re: RDF/XML Syntax Specification (Revised) W3C Working Draft published

From: Mike Moran <mmoran@netphysic.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2001 18:07:58 +0000
To: "Peter F. Patel-Schneider" <pfps@research.bell-labs.com>
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Peter F. Patel-Schneider wrote:

[ ... ]

> Well let's put it this way.
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/common">
>    <age>10</age>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example.org/tom">
>     <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://example.org/common"/>
>     <shoesize>7</shoesize>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> <rdf:Description rdf:about="http://example/jane">
>     <rdf:type rdf:resource="http://example.org/common"/>
>     <shoesize>8</shoesize>
> </rdf:Description>
>
> does *NOT* imply that Tom's age is 10, nor does it imply that Tom has an
> age.  No ifs, ands, or buts!

> Any RDF implemenation that behaves otherwise is broken!

Ok. So, what does it imply then?

By your explanation, (using shorthand) it is *not* the case that T isA
C, or J isA C. In practical terms, how would I say that T isA C, or J
isA C in RDF? I *want* to have shared, inherited, attributes.

"tarod@softhome.net" says[1] I can get it by checking for inheritance
explicitly using chained (prolog-like it seems) matching operators.
However, you seem to say I shouldn't be doing this at all, using the
above markup.

I don't wish to troll, but it would seem like inheriting of  attributes
is a thing most people would expect to be able to do in RDF, somehow.

[1]: http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-rdf-interest/2001Dec/0095.html

--
Mike