Re: Using urn:publicid: for namespaces

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Aug 2001 01:59:58 +0100
To: <Patrick.Stickler@nokia.com>, <scranefield@infoscience.otago.ac.nz>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> *but* the QName to resource URI problem is a "show
> stopper" (i.e. a critical problem that has to be fixed, and
> soon).

Why can't you model a QName as an anonymous resource? I did send a
letter about this to www-rdf-interest a short while ago; perhaps you
missed it :-)

Basically, the concept is that the QName:-

   {http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml}title

as an element can be modelled as:-

[ :ns <http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml>; :expEType "title" ] .

and so on. See the appendices of the XML Names specification for a
detailed description of the grammar. It's a shame that it does not set
out URIs for these terms, and it would be good if the W3C could do
that.

> The following is a proposal for extensions/refinements of RDF
> and RDF Schema with the aim of achieving modular, scalable and
> generic interchange of knowledge for the Semantic Web.

Note that BSWL [1] contains some attributes that serve a similar
function to your proposal (i.e. add XML QName referencing to the
syntax rather than the model). I'm not sure whether I'd prefer to see
it in the model (as I suggested above), or in the syntax (as you
suggested, and as I added to BSWL).

[1] http://infomesh.net/2001/07/bswl/

--
Kindest Regards,