RE: Using urn:publicid: for namespaces

I wrote:

> > Therefore an unofficial syntax could be used to identify namespaces.
> > One possibility is to use the formal public ID syntax but with the
> > language part omitted and a convention to end the ID with "::" (so
> > that concatenation will work for QName to URI mapping):
> >
> >   urn:publicid:-:University+of+Otago:NONSGML+Tourism+ontology+v1.0;
> >
> > corresponding to:
> >
> >   -//University of Otago//NONSGML Tourism ontology v1.0::

Patrick Stickler replied:

> But this is really just the same as adopting a single URI scheme
> having a single allowed MIME type with an explicit fragment
> syntax.

and later on:

> But again, this is imposing a single URI scheme on the SW in the
> efforts to fix what essentially is a missing interface between
> the syntax (QName) and semantic (resource URI) realms.

I want to be clear that I am not proposing the adoption of a "single
URI scheme", nor am I advocating "imposing" anything.  I have no doubt
that there will eventually be many different URN schemes in use.  I am
simply suggesting this as an IANA-registered URN scheme that can be used
right now for namespaces.

- Stephen