Re: RDF in XHTML

Dan Brickley wrote:

> > > Yes (that's the problem).
> > >

> > Could we add a <metadata>...</metadata> tag and wrap it in CDATA?  Any
> > other ideas?
> >
> > > is going to have to be controlled to avoid numerous proprietary
> > > implementations: i.e. adding RDF to XHTML should be well scoped rather
> >
> > That's the important thing, I think - I could easily stuff RDF in the
> > page right now, but it would be nice to have a way that is "the best way
> > we can think of right now" so that we can stop talking and start coding.
>
> Yes, I would *love* to have someone figure out a plausible best-practice
> story for linking and embedding RDF with XHTML content.  Specifically, I
> want to be able to find RSS + Dublin Core 'whats new' feeds for any
> website I knowe the homepage of. Currently RSS 1.0 aggregators don't have
> any standard conventions for finding new RSS feeds. Some variant on <LINK
> REL="META"... sounds plausible to me, although I understand from Sean that
> we'd need to define an HTML profile to do this properly. I wonder if a
> variant of the 'XHTML profile for RDF site summaries'
> (http://www.w3.org/2000/08/w3c-synd/) would do the job.
>
> I've only just now realised that multiple profiles (a space separated list
> of their URI names) can be used in HTML simultaneously[1]. So there seems
> to me to be no reason  why we shouldn't proceed and define a profile that
> explains the link types we want and need (ie. rel=meta, plus URIs for the
> existing HTML link types).

Hi Dan,

I've already received some early versions of an XHTML/DC module from Sean,
so hopefully I'll be able to work with him over the next week or so to
provide a first cut at this. It shouldn't be too difficult, I hope. From
this we can come up with a best practices document. I'd likewise love to
see DC content in XHTML, perhaps one of the first benefits of both DC
and XHTML m12n to impact the greater web community.

Murray

Murray Altheim                            <mailto:altheim&#x40;eng.sun.com>
XML Technology Center
Sun Microsystems, Inc., MS MPK17-102, 1601 Willow Rd., Menlo Park, CA 94025

      In the evening
      The rice leaves in the garden
      Rustle in the autumn wind
      That blows through my reed hut.  -- Minamoto no Tsunenobu