Re: What Name Should A Namespace Name?

From: Aaron Swartz <aswartz@swartzfam.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2001 11:14:51 -0500
To: "Sean B. Palmer" <sean@mysterylights.com>, SWAG <swag-dev@yahoogroups.com>
CC: RDF Interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com> wrote:

>> The answers to what's the resource at a namespace URI
>> (a namespace) and what's the resource at data: URI (the
>> content of the URI) seem to be mutually exclusive.
> Using data: URIs for namespaces (which return data) seems no
> better/worse to me than using HTTP URIs, which are also designed to
> return data.

I think the difference is that with HTTP, the spec makes it clear that you
request a _resource_ from the server and the server attempts to send back
the best representation it can. So if you request a namespace, you'll get
back a description of a namespace.

However, with the data: URI the only resource (AFAICT) involved is the data
itself. Thus, it can never be a namespace, since it will always be a chunk
of text (or an image, or whatever). (Unless we come up with a MIME type for
namespaces.)