Re: URIs / URLs

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2001 17:37:49 +0100
To: "Lee Jonas" <lee.jonas@cakehouse.co.uk>, "'Charles McCathieNevile'" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "'Aaron Swartz'" <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, "RDF Interest" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> so if I want to store some metadata that states you wrote the email
> this is a response to, which URI would you suggest I use for the
> email and which URI to identify you?

Use a date stamped MID for the email (message IDs are only required to
be unique for two years). As for identifying Charles, you have the
three options that Sandro recently outlined. I would suggest that
unless you want to re-represent Charles, you use an anonymous node:-

  [ :name "Charles McCathieNevile"; :worksFor
     "W3C"; :date "2001" ]

If you want to reuse the node, then simply give it a proprietary
name:-

  @prefix : <#> .
  :Charles :name "Charles McCathieNevile"; :worksFor
     "W3C"; :date "2001" .

Where Charles could possibly be an HTTP URI if you want people to
dereference it to find out more information about Charles. A good
example might be a FragID to his W3C homepage. Note that the more
information you include, the less persistent your data will likely be,
e.g. Charles might move his homepage, but if you used a TANN it should
remain persistent. Once again, through date-stamping, and being
careful to recognize the scope of your data-store, you should be able
to avoid any major problems.

--
Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer