Re: off the top issues list

From: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Date: Thu, 07 Sep 2000 17:32:40 +0100
To: "McBride, Brian" <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Cc: "RDF Interest (E-mail)" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
At 07:27 AM 9/7/00 +0100, McBride, Brian wrote:

[Many good points.  Here's one that prompted me to respond...]

>Request for an algorithm to digitally sign a model.

This is a topic close to my current interests.  I don't think it makes
sense to _sign_ a _model_.

In saying this, I distinguish between a model, and its serialization.  A
model is an abstraction, which captures the essence of some RDF
statements.  A signature as applied to some sequence of bits or
bytes.  Different serializations of the same model will have different

What I think *is* meaningful is to represent the _assurance_ conferred by a
signature on some serialized RDF in an RDF model.  I am currently thinking
that contexts can be used to do this.

PS:  for the issue list, it may be good to separate issues with the current
spec from issues for future development.  I think this is the latter.

Graham Klyne