RE: off the top issues list

From: McBride, Brian <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2000 01:04:33 +0100
To: Graham Klyne <GK@Dial.pipex.com>
Cc: "RDF Interest (E-mail)" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
graham wrote
> This is a topic close to my current interests.  I don't think
> it makes
> sense to _sign_ a _model_.
>
> In saying this, I distinguish between a model, and its
> serialization.  A
> model is an abstraction, which captures the essence of some RDF
> statements.  A signature as applied to some sequence of bits or
> bytes.  Different serializations of the same model will have
> different
> signatures.

t is true that different serializations of the same model will
have different signatures.  I don't follow the logic of why that
implies that signing the model makes no sense.  If I can sign
the model, then the same signature will validate it however it
is serialized and whatever or whoever serializes it.

> PS:  for the issue list, it may be good to separate issues
> with the current
> spec from issues for future development.  I think this is the latter.

Agreed.  I just rattled the list off, leaving classification and
summarizing as a later shared activity.

Brian