Re: The future of the 'Semantic Web'

From: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 10:28:04 -0700
To: Irfan Shah <irfan_shah@hotmail.com>
CC: www-rdf-interest@w3.org
Irfan Shah wrote:

> "User friendly tools are produced that read and write RDF"
> These tools should
>           [1] Communicate using simple, non-technical language
>           [2] Offer prompts that dynamically react to a user's input
>           [3] Points [1] and [2] to be deployed in applications that aid
> both users looking for information AND users describing their web sites.

I think such a tool would be a semantic web browser (SWB) .  The question
arisis, then, what does the semantic web look like to a human such that we can
browse it ?   Well I suggest it looks something like [1] with labeled
descriptions under topics.   But here is the problem: even if there were a lot
of pages that contained RDF descriptions, you would still not  get as coherant
a presentation as you see at the ILRT site.  The solution to this problem, i
think, lies in memory.  A semantic web browser should remember what it reads  -
translation: it puts the RDF in a local database.  Then all the information my
SWB ever encounters about some subject  can be shown to me in one coherant
presentation when i point my SWB at that subject.

[1]
http://www.ilrt.bris.ac.uk/discovery/rdf-dev/roads/subject-listing/stands.html

> Is this a useful exercise? Too obvious? Off the mark? Keep going?

Please do :)

<signature syntax='SVO'>
Topic: Seth Russell
working today on: Bulk mail for (Speak To Me Catalog)
needs help with: SWB
authorof: http://www.RobustAI.net/ai/symknow.htm

Topic: Speak To Me Catalog
class: web shopping