Re: The future of the 'Semantic Web'

From: Irfan Shah <irfan_shah@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2000 15:50:48 GMT
To: seth@robustai.net
Cc: www-rdf-interest@w3.org

Seth Russell broke RDF success criteria down into three requirements...

[1]  RDF works
[2]  User friendly tools are produced that read and write RDF
[3]  People actually USE the tools in [2]

I think this breakdown is useful.

If I can now take the above point [2] and begin to break that down further,
we might begin to get a set of high level design consideraions for RDF
applications.

To kick off..

"User friendly tools are produced that read and write RDF"

These tools should

          [1] Communicate using simple, non-technical language

          [2] Offer prompts that dynamically react to a user's input

          [3] Points [1] and [2] to be deployed in applications that aid
both users looking for information AND users describing their web sites.

Is this a useful exercise? Too obvious? Off the mark? Keep going?