Assumptions about anonymous resources

From: Tim Serong <tims@ixla.com.au>
Date: Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:35:01 +1000
To: "RDF Interest (E-mail)" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Hi all,

When an anonymous resource is referenced (ie: <rdf:Description> with no
about or ID attribute), is it reasonable/legal to make *any* assumptions
about the resource other than that it is anonymous?

For example, consider the following:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<top-level-element xmlns:rdf="...">

  <first-element id="001">
    <rdf:Description about="#001">

As I understand it, the first <rdf:Description> refers to the resource
identified by the fragment identifier "#001", which in this instance happens
to be the <first-element> element.

The second <rdf:Description> refers to an anonymous resource.  Could I
assume that this anonymous resource is the <second-element> element?  Could
I assume that this anonymous resource is the file itself?  Or can I know
nothing at all about the resource other than what is defined inside the
<rdf:Description> block?

What I'm actually trying to do is define a simple hierarchy, and I want to
be able to describe arbitrary pieces of the hierarchy using RDF, without
having to keep track of fragment IDs...

Tim Serong
Senior Software Developer, Publishing
IXLA Limited