Re: Coordinating XML schema and RDF schema

From: Sean B. Palmer <sean@mysterylights.com>
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2000 00:02:47 -0000
To: "Aaron Swartz" <aswartz@swartzfam.com>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>
Cc: "Susanne Guth" <susi@wu-wien.ac.at>, <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
> We do not have an XML schema, because XML schemas restrict element order,
> which is not a restriction we do not wish to impose in RSS. Basically, the
> reason that both of such schemas apply is because we are defining an RDF
> profile -- a subset of RDF syntax that is fully compatible with plain old
> XML parsers as well as RDF parsers.

So in summary you don't use an XML Schema becauase it puts too much
constraint on RSS: which doesn't need constraining to the degree of
asserting element ordering. However, you do want *some* structure, so you
use Schematron, correct? Also, you have an RDF Schema, like all good RDF
languages should - but only to assert the RDF aspects of RSS, not the
structure. So what this all boils down to is that some RDF specific
structuring may be needed (like Schematron. I suppose we could just use
Schematron), but on the whole RDF Schemas are the most important aspect....

Kindest Regards,
Sean B. Palmer
http://xhtml.waptechinfo.com/swr/
http://www.w3.org/WAI/ [ERT/GL/PF]
"Perhaps, but let's not get bogged down in semantics."
   - Homer J. Simpson, BABF07.