Re: Statements/Reified statements

Jonas Liljegren wrote:

> Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu> writes:
>
> > Pierre-Antoine CHAMPIN wrote:
> > > First, Statements and Reified statements are not the same thing.
> >
> > Although this is consistent with the spec, I believe there are
> > significant advantages both for understanding and manipulating
> > reified statements if these two notions are merged into one.
> >
> > Can you (or anyone) list some use cases where it is beneficial to
> > make this distinction?
>
>  1. It let us the reified statement as a stating
>
>  2. It saves us the trouble of joining reified statements with given
>     URIs from diffrent models.

The above examples can be perfectly dealt with when a statement is a
resource.

> > I can think of several cases, in which distinguishing statements
> > vs. reified statements makes things a lot more complicated.  Just
> > consider a database query that retrieves all assertions made about a
> > statement (by anyone).
>
> Could it be something like this?
>
> select * from arc where subj in ( select id from arc where pred=? and
> subj=? and obj=?)

Well, Jonas, this approach is practically equivalent with the one that I
have in mind (except that statement IDs are not unique).

Notice that now you have another trouble: you have to rematerialize the
quad statements if you want to be spec compliant. What about a query
like

	select * from arc where pred = rdf:predicate
or
	select * from arc where pred = rdf:type and obj = rdf:Statement

?