Re: A triple is not unique.

From: Sergey Melnik <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 15:40:44 -0800
To: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
CC: Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>, RDF Interest Group <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Jonathan Borden wrote:

> Seth
> >
> > But what if MyMemory (web site as you put it) contains both the statement
> I made and the
> > statement made by the Electoral College .. and in fact distinguishes
> between the two .. as
> > is the case of this email?
> >

> I think you are mixing up the triple and the reification of the triple. The
> triple is unique but its reification need not be unique.

I think Seth and I are talking about the same thing.

To reiterate, I believe that reification of a statement does not
(better, should not) carry any information, is a purely syntactic
mechanism, and does not add anything to the model.

Being able to talk about statements is a central concept of RDF and I
think it should be anchored in the RDF model more intrinsically than it
is done currently. I don't see a need to bootstrap reification using 4
special RDF statements. I'd rather have it built-in.

My understanding is that the RDF/XML serialization below should result
in a single statement,

	(Bush wonThe Election)

Again, my belief is not 100% consistent with the spec and is rather an
item for the todo list.

Sergey