Re: A triple is not unique.

From: Jonathan Borden <jborden@mediaone.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2000 18:39:45 -0500
To: "Sergey Melnik" <melnik@db.stanford.edu>
Cc: "Seth Russell" <seth@robustai.net>, "RDF Interest Group" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Sergey Melnik wrote:

> To reiterate, I believe that reification of a statement does not
> (better, should not) carry any information, is a purely syntactic
> mechanism, and does not add anything to the model.

Reification is the only mechanism I see within the RDF model whereby a name
can be attached to a statement triple. The 'bootstrap' reification is taken
directly from M&S.

> Being able to talk about statements is a central concept of RDF and I
> think it should be anchored in the RDF model more intrinsically than it
> is done currently. I don't see a need to bootstrap reification using 4
> special RDF statements. I'd rather have it built-in.

So you are talking about a proposed modification to the RDF Model? I am
talking about the current model.

> My understanding is that the RDF/XML serialization below should result
> in a single statement,

    The XML I provided included a <Description /> and two <Statement />s
The <Description/> creates a single triple. Each <Statement /> parsed as RDF
creates the reification quad, so a total of 9 triples.

Jonathan Borden
The Open Healthcare Group
http://www.openhealth.org