RE: More On the Semantic Web (or: is RDF any good?)

From: Gordon Joly <gordo@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 2000 09:30:38 +0000 (GMT)
To: Matt Jensen <mattj@newsblip.com>
cc: William Loughborough <love26@gorge.net>, Craig Pugsley <craig.pugsley@mimesweeper.com>, "'www-rdf-interest@w3.org'" <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>, "'semantic-web@w3.org'" <semantic-web@w3.org>

Jakob Nielsen shows that both "page requests" (for a site such as
http://www.sun.com/) follow the Zipf law. He states (on the site you gave,
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/zipf.html)

"The figure shows incoming page-requests to a single site. Other
studies have found that Zipf curves characterize the outgoing page
requests from the employees of an organization (there are a few pages
that everybody look at and a large number of pages that are seen only
once)."

So the law applies for "page popularity" plotted against "hits per
month" (his terminology).

*****>>>>> earlier it was said...

>However, because the Web is described by Zipf's law [1], you might get
>good value out of convincing "only" the top 100 sites (in page views) to
>implement your semantic system.  Then a form of Metcalfe's law [2]
>applies, where other web sites have more and more reasons to join.

Yes, to convince them. But like HTML (the well know computer virus),
inertia rules.

Did PNG take off like a rocket? Answer - no. And that was a very
simple in comparison.

Gordo.